This is the 88th day of my 90 day blogging challenge and I have to admit that the last couple of weeks have been the most difficult as my company and focus change, my blog has become a little unfocused.
I have even abandoned my very haphazard SEO strategy which wasn’t working that well anyway.
I was interested to find that at one point Klout had me as a parenting expert! And most of my hits are from people searching for elephants! Hmmm, some work to do.
I just haven’t made the time and my blog is suffering for it.
Having said all of that, this blog has been a massive change process for me and I am now clear about my direction and have booked a date in my diary to apply the re-branding, the SEO, the tidying up 🙂
Blog Subject Finding Strategy
Where do you find inspiration for blog subjects when you’re posting daily (frequently)?
Here is a strategy and a list of ideas:
- Get away from a PC and use pen and paper – remember that stuff?
Get out of your office in to a coffee shop or neutral location where you can let your creativity flow. Put the Tablet away!!! And the phone – switch everything off!! This is ‘Do Not Disturb’ time.
2. Take your Niche and write it at the top of a blank page as a title.
3. List as many sub subjects or areas of subject matter as you can. For instance as an NLP Trainer I can Choose areas of NLP subject matter and areas which they frequently apply (Business, Health, Relationships). If you have a clearly defined sub-niche this can be even more finely honed.
4. Now for each sub heading – list ten things you can write about – 10 blog headings if you like
You’ve now created a plan for hopefully around 60 blogs. This is how my blog began and then I lost the plot a bit – so back to strategy creation for me.
Using this also allows you to group ideas together so that they can be repurposed as an e-book later. Forward plan it if you can. If you were writing a book on the subject what are the topics you would cover. Even search similar books on Amazon and grab the content pages to give you ideas.
The List of content Ideas:
1) Brainstorm with your kids – they are so creative! Don’t criticise! Allow everything! You can review later. I have a whole 3 month plan from this activity for my new brand and niche.
2) How is your niche affected by holidays, seasonal variances, Festive dates?
3) Current hot topics in your niche? Discuss, disagree, research.
4) Take a popular opinion and present the alternative – devil’s advocate
5) Write a personal story with a lesson
6) Create a review: book, software, audio, interview, report…
7) Your reaction to breaking news
8) How to’s
9) Answer Frequently Asked Questions or client questions
10) Subtly promote a new product
11) Whatever inspires you in the moment
12) Create a discussion around a key topic – ask for feedback
13) What are the biggest problems your readers face? – Present solutions and tips
14) Take a topic from a different industry that you can apply to give a different slant on yours. E.g. How a big name brand are marketing (Coca Cola) How can you apply that to your niche – even as a metaphor?
15) Present 10 top tips
16) X Steps to
17) What will happen next (from breaking news)?
18) Future predictions
20) Multi Media blogs
21) Repurposing previous blogs
22) Hold a contest
23) Ask your audience
24) Ask your friends
25) Ask on Social Media
26) Research a new area
27) Choose a book that you have learned from, pick a number, turn to that page and choose a phrase that inspires you (some of my best blogs come from this :))
28) Best practice techniques
29) What not to do and why
30) Create a tribe, a following, a cause, an event – something you can get people inspired by and behind
Just one or two ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
Thank you Luke Lim for inspiring me to write this. I know it will be valuable to me and hopefully therefore to you!
My gift to you…
I’ve just uploaded the 3rd of 4 in-depth, content rich videos which are based around you uncovering your strengths and your story and your strategy and goals, and how to leverage and live from them in order to create the job, the career or the business of your dreams.
They’re absolutely FREE. The fourth and final video is released on Friday 2nd December.
If you’d like access to the videos and the Free e-books that go with them then visit
http://www.excelleratedsuccess.com before the videos are no longer available on the 7th December 2011.